Academic Director – Utah Global
Utah Global is a partnership between the University of Utah and Shorelight. In support of the University’s strategic plan of bringing the world to the USA and Utah Global to the world, the mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood of obtaining their degrees at the University of Utah.
The Academic Director implements and manages an International Accelerator Program curriculum and support services for international students. This individual primarily ensures the delivery of a high-quality academic experience for all students in the program and manages reporting on student academic progress. This program combines English language instruction and support with academic instruction and acculturation. Reporting to the Managing Director, the Academic Director ensures the quality of this specialized academic program, organizing effective student support and guidance in areas of English for academic purposes, tutorials, and progression through the program.
In cooperation with university academic units and university administrators, the Academic Director works collegially and diplomatically with students, faculty members, and administrators. The Academic Director is a strong team player who participates in both academic and student services initiatives, providing a high level of customer service to all stakeholders.
Academic Program Management
- Manage academic operations, including implementing and overseeing systems and procedures; maintaining accurate records and reports on the program; and meeting academic program quality standards, ensuring continuous evaluation and improvement of the program
- Work closely with the Managing Director, Academic Chair, and Shorelight to supervise and manage all academics of the program, including curriculum delivery, mentoring of faculty and staff, and overall student experience
- Collaborate with academic units to develop a program that meets the university’s objectives; further strengthens the university’s mission, international reach, and outstanding reputation; and maximizes student success and progression
- Partner with the Academic Chair, Student Services Director, and university personnel to ensure a holistic program encompassing academic success, integration into the university environment, acculturation, student service support, and student success
- Participate in the Academic Quality Assurance Committee
- Oversee academic program planning
- Represent the program through participation in academic events, on familiarization tours, and through memberships and affiliations as appropriate
- Adhere to university policies regarding academic integrity and related university academic policies
- Work with the university registrar and the Shorelight Live team to ensure that students are enrolled in appropriate in-person, online, and Live courses
- Ensure remote learning students are provided with requisite academic advising regarding courses, credits, major requirements, and transfer process
Student Progression and Retention
- In partnership with the Academic Chair and Utah Global leadership team, implement and monitor student retention processes and policies for the program
- Build and analyze reports on the progress and satisfaction of the students’ achievement of objectives, including progression through the program and degree completion.
- Maintain academic data integrity through Shorelight CRM and submit reports on student enrollment, program completion, program changes, and progression
- Liaise with appropriate committees and other partners related to the matriculation and onboarding of new students initially, through the IAP, and into university degree programs
- Work with academic departments to ensure appropriate scheduling of courses and assignment of instructional staff for the program
- Work with the Director of Utah Global Faculty and Shorelight Live team to develop schedules and ensure faculty are appropriately assigned to Live courses and trained on the Live platform
- Recruit, develop, and retain team members to ensure productivity and engagement
- Engage in talent management activities such as goal setting, performance evaluations, stay interviews, development planning, and ongoing feedback to develop team members and achieve organization goals
- Provide coaching, counseling, and corrective action (when necessary) to team members
- Foster a culture that reflects Shorelight’s values
- Master’s degree with 5+ years’ experience in either higher education, IEP/ language school management, TEFL/TESOL, or related field or a Doctorate degree with either 3+ years’ experience in higher education, IEP/language school management, or related field.
- 3+ years teaching experience at the university level, K-12, or ESL/EFL
- Experience working with international students in a higher education setting
- Record of exceptional interpersonal, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated tact, patience, and diplomacy, particularly with non-native English speakers
- Hands-on approach to academic delivery, student service, and business growth
- Demonstrated understanding of educational technology tools including Learning Management Systems, Microsoft Office programs, and forms of media to support an interactive and student-centered classroom instruction
- Eligibility to work and travel in the United States without sponsorship
- Experience working within an educational collaboration and/or a complex organization
- Experience working with Salesforce and Canvas
- Experience living or working overseas
- Academic advising experience
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter
Background Check Required–Education, Criminal, Identity
Utah Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer.