Shorelight is reinventing the international education experience for students worldwide. Based in Boston, the company works directly with top-ranked, nonprofit American universities to build innovative programs and high-touch, technology-driven services that help talented students thrive and become global citizens.
The Account Manager position contributes to oversight of accounting activities for all Campus accounting, under the direction of finance corporate leadership, and helps lead the campus team in accurate reporting of financials, and key operating initiatives, as well as special projects. He/she/they is fiscally responsible and looks for opportunities to improve operational practice to align with financial goals. The Accounting Manager is a strategic thinker and problem solver with strong attention to detail and a proven customer service approach to working with others. This role reports to the Company’s Chief Accounting Officer. Shorelight has approximately twenty campus relationships overall, that can very significantly in campus size.
- Manage a team of approximately six direct reports, at the senior to staff accountant level
- Work with Campus leaders to manage financial performance against budgeted expectations
- Train new Senior and Staff Accountants on month end processes and reconciliations
- Assist management with monthly and quarterly financial reviews
- Collaborate with campus staff on all financial aspects of assigned partnerships, including maintaining KPI’s on student enrollment, budget to actual review, operational expenses, and student invoicing.
- Work on special campus related projects.
- Identify process gaps and key areas to improve financial performance
- Review journal entries and associated balance sheet reconciliations for the monthly financial close, associated with campus operations, revenue/receivables and all required accruals as examples.
Compliance and Process Improvement
- Assist with corporate audit readiness, with a Big 4 auditor.
- Work with Finance, Analytics, and IT team members to identify ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of month-end processes and assist in initiatives to implement the improvements for financial reporting
- Support ongoing projects to improve NetSuite design and reporting capabilities in Salesforce
- Document, review, recommend, and implement best practices regarding accounting policies and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Experience managing a team of at least four employees
- Minimum 3 years of experience in accounting management role, with preference to Corporate accounting or a divisional manager
- At least five years of accounting experience overall
- Proven expertise using Microsoft Office products, primarily excel and PowerPoint
- Budget, month end, and operational initiative experience
- Detail oriented, with exceptional organization and communication skills
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- The ability to lead Finance presentations
- Ability to adapt to changing business needs and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels in the company
- Customer service focused, with demonstrated ability to communicate courteously and timely
- Eligibility to work in, and travel freely to and from, the United States without sponsorship
Helpful Qualifications (Not Required)
- Experience with a CRM system such as Salesforce
- Experience working with accounting software such as NetSuite or similar large-scale ERP platform
- Experience with revenue recognition and accounts receivable/billing processes
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Background Check Required–Education, Criminal, Identity
Shorelight is an Equal Opportunity Employer.