Application Support Engineer
Shorelight is reinventing the international education experience for students worldwide. Based in Boston, the company works directly with top-ranked, nonprofit American universities to build innovative programs and high-touch, technology-driven services that help talented students thrive and become global citizens.
The Application Support Engineer provides Tier 2/3 support, system administration with specific focus on customer facing Shorelight applications and networking support for HQ and satellite offices. This role is the escalation point for both customer and operational incidents, outages, and errors and functions as the IT system owner for assigned platforms, working closely with departmental stakeholders. The Application Support Engineer develops a high level of expertise working with the development and quality assurance teams to effectively troubleshoot and recommend fixes and improvements.
The Application Support Engineer is an analytical and logical problem solver with outstanding oral and written communication skills and a proven ability to envision and implement continual process improvement. He/She/They is a team player who has high-level customer service skills, a proven ability to address both technical and non-technical individuals at all levels of the organization, and can adjust quickly to shifting priorities and deadlines. The Application Support Engineer reports to the Director, System and Software Management.
Business Systems and Software Support
- Provide real-time support and system administration for learning management, mobile student information applications, and instructional technology platforms deployed globally
- Assist developers in the identification and resolution of application or process related defects or issues ensure incidents and development requests are appropriately logged
- Become the Shorelight expert on assigned applications, both functionally and technically, to support bug fixes, integrations, upgrades, and content creation
- Perform incident troubleshooting, analysis, and diagnosis based on symptoms, existing knowledge base, review of code, technical process flow, inputs, etc. of assigned applications
- Develop and facilitate continuous monitoring of core systems, processes, and integrations
Technical and Operational Efficiency
- Identify opportunities for efficiency and automation
- Perform Root Cause Analysis, identify, and document solutions
- Proactively research, resolve and/or escalate any abnormalities to mitigate system issues and/or downtime
- Create guides to system updates, as needed
- Maintain enterprise-grade data networks, including VPNs, routers/switches and other physical hardware
- Working with ISPs to spec and install new internet circuits and related hardware
- Maintain wireless networking configuration and hardware
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of work experience
- 3+ years of related work experience
- Experience in SDLC, including system design, implementation, testing, maintenance, and support
- Experience supporting web, desktop, and mobile applications
- Deep familiarity with Windows 10/11 and Mac OSX operating systems and a broad suite of cloud based and SAAS applications in a global environment
- Ability to work evenings when needed (up to 10%)
- Eligibility to work in, and travel freely to and from, the United States without sponsorship
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field
- Experience with scripting and automation tools
- Experience working within Help Desk systems
- Experience maintaining enterprise-grade data networks, including VPNs, routers/switches and other physical hardware
- Direct experience with Cisco Meraki networking technology
- Tier 2/3 System Support experience and/or a development background
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Background Check Required – Education, Criminal, Identity
Shorelight is an Equal Opportunity Employer.