Business Development Manager, North China
Shorelight – Business Development Manager
Shorelight is reinventing the international education experience for both students and universities. In partnership with leading U.S. institutions, we build innovative degree programs—whether on campus or cloud-based, in the United States or students’ home countries—that help students thrive and create a new generation of successful, globally minded alumni.
The Business Development Manager for North China will be responsible for execution of an important element of the regional growth strategy, focusing on the regional new channels development, and recovery/expansion of B2B sub-agent network in the region. The role also supports to explore local market demand and drive the exisiting program optimization and localization, to build network and partnership with local high schools and universities partnership, driving new business opportunities. The role will be assigned a portfolio of B2B sub-channels and new channel partners to manage and develop towards achievement of an expected revenue target, and the work will require significant cooperation with Regional Recruitment, Product and national Marketing teams to reach the desired level of short term and long-term, consistent channel partner productivity.
This position is based in Beijing and reports directly to the Assosicate Director of Business Development for China.
- Contribute to the design of the regional business development growth strategy, and lead on its execution and successful delivery
- Lead the initial approach to new channel/partner, then following an agreed engagement process, in collaboration with regional recruitment team, pitch and negotiate through to contract and a sales goal.
- Ongoing relationship management and maintaining of the new partnerships post-contract.
- Build relationships with both active and inactive sub-agents within the assigned account portfolio with the aim of raising portfolio-wide levels of performance and provide accurate and timely performance forecasts and introduce tactics to address challenges and any barriers to achievement of target.
- Work closely with colleagues in Marketing and Product teams to ensure channel partners are given the materials, knowledge and skills needed to reach desired levels of performance
- Share best practice and take a collegiate approach to working with other members of the business development team in other regions in China, such as providing thoughts and feedback on enrolment trends, industry insights, competitor activity and market environment
- Devise a researched, measurable method of managing the Shorelight product mix across a range of channel partner profiles and business models, also be able to grasp regional trend and market demand, to contribute the exisiting product optimation and localization and seize the new business opportunities.
- Attend and deliver training sessions, information sessions and other similar events to drive and support channel partner performance (will require travel across the assigned region, which will vary based on the season and period within the recruitment cycle)
Qualifications, knowledge and skills
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, communications, business, international relations or a related area
- 3–5 years of experience in the international education/recruitment industry
- Strong sales and account management skills
- Proven track record of working collaboratively in a matrix governance model
- Strategic-minded and sales-driven, with strong drive for results
- Ability to work successfully in a fast-paced environment while remaining pressure-resilient
- Proficient with technology and reporting programs/systems
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Exemplary customer service skills and ability to foster a customer service ethic within the work team
- Existing network and relationships within the education industry in China, particularly in Tier 1-3 cities in the North, would be a plus
- Strong working knowledge of key international markets, programs, and products would be a plus
- Language requirements: Chinese and English (fluent) are a must.
- Ability to work in the hiring location (Beijing) without sponsorship, and willingness to travel regularly.
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Shorelight is an Equal Opportunity Employer.