Shorelight is reinventing the international education experience for students worldwide. Based in Boston, the company works directly with top-ranked, nonprofit American universities to build innovative programs and high-touch, technology-driven services that help talented students thrive and become global citizens.
The Data Engineer creates data solutions based on business requirements and technical specifications. He/She/they design, develop, and deploy solutions that support the company’s data warehousing and CRM system integrations. This role reports to the Data Engineering Manager.
The Data Engineer has outstanding oral and written communication skills, solid analytical and problem-solving abilities, and excellent debugging skills. They have a passion for data quality, data movement, and leveraging any number of tools to get the job done. The Data Engineer is comfortable multitasking, changing priorities as needed, and using data and creative thinking to inform all decisions.
- Design, develop, and test data integration processes among business systems and data warehouses in multiple DBMS environments, including cloud-based systems
- Design, develop, and test system integrations among enterprise front- and back-office applications (ERP, CRM, Financial, Planning, and other systems)
- Prepare documentation and flow charts of systems, business processes, and databases
- Participate in solutioning and data modeling design sessions
- Implement code changes based on system specifications
- Analyze problems and propose solutions
- Work with DBAs and Data Architects to implement database changes
- Perform system and user testing, as well as production launches
- Monitor batch jobs and resolve any issues in a timely manner
- Look for opportunities to enhance existing code and processes as well as overall data quality improvements
- Test and troubleshoot business reporting for end users in Tableau, Microsoft PowerBI, and other BI tools
- Assist power users in their understanding of the Enterprise Data Model and usage of the Enterprise Data Warehouse
- Comply with Shorelight Written Information Security Policy, and all other Shorelight Information Security Policies and Procedures
- Take responsibility for any Shorelight assets assigned to you
- Promptly report any security events, incidents or weaknesses to Shorelight Security
- BA or BS
- 3+ years of experience in data management and ETL design/development
- Experience in database development using Amazon Redshift, DB2, SQL Server, and/or Oracle
- Strong SQL scripting skills, including procedural languages such as PL/SQL and T-SQL
- Experience with ETL tools such as Informatica, SSIS, and Pentaho PDI
- Experience in working with large-scale data warehousing and complex transformations
- Experience in working with dimensional models
- Experience using a software development lifecycle (SDLC) methodology
- Knowledge of Stored Procedures/Unix scripting knowledge
- Knowledge of implementing adequate controls for balancing
- Solid understanding of relational database design
- Experience with BI and reporting platforms such as Business Objects, Crystal Reports, Tableau, PowerBI, and Cognos
- Eligible to work and travel in the United States without sponsorship
- BA/BS in information systems, information technology, or computer science
- Knowledge of Salesfoce.com data model
- Experience with Informatica Cloud
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Background Check Required–Education, Criminal, Identity
Shorelight is an Equal Opportunity Employer.