Director of Data Science
Shorelight is reinventing the international education experience for students worldwide. Based in Boston, the company works directly with top-ranked, nonprofit American universities to build innovative programs and high-touch, technology-driven services that help talented students thrive and become global citizens.
The Director of Data Science will lead the data science strategy and will build scalable data / analytic capabilities to measure the efficacy of conversion and student success activities and provide actionable insights toward optimization. This requires thought leadership with a focus on innovation. This role will also manage our team of data scientists. This role will report to the Vice Preside of Data Science and Analytics, and will require close collaboration with the Analytics team, our Recruitment and Marketing teams, our Campus Operations teams, as well as our Engineering and Technology teams. This is a new role at Shorelight and will be essential to building the foundation for a scalable data science architecture at Shorelight.
Data Management & Analysis
- Design and implement machine learning models for a number of use cases including but not limited to: conversion, student-to-program matching, risk assessment, and student success
- Measure and validate performance of machine learning models
- Implement machine learning models in production
- Monitor and improve model performance
- Analyze massive amounts of data to provide insights
- Propose creative solutions to existing business challenges
- Present findings to business leaders internally and to partners
- Leverage best practices in machine learning and data engineering to develop scalable solutions
- Plan and direct data science / machine learning projects within the team
- Lead, mentor and grow data science teams focused on developing production-grade services and capabilities
- BS in engineering, computer science, math (statistics) or related field
- 8+ years experience managing engineering/analytics projects
- Experience with a statistical analysis software package – R, Python, or data science software platforms such as RapidMiner, Xplenty, Apache Hadoop, Alteryx or related tools
- Experience with big data tools (SQL, Spark, Hive, Hadoop)
- Exceptional problem-solving skills with unrelenting focus on practical business implications
- The desire to not only manage an incredible team, but the willingness to contribute to product and program ideation
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, and dynamic work environment
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Experience with model explainability and interpretability techniques
- Interest in learning about business applications, business models and economics of machine learning and data technologies
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to explain and discuss mathematical and machine learning technicalities with colleagues and clients from other disciplines
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Background Check Required–Education, Criminal, Identity
Shorelight is an Equal Opportunity Employer.