ESL Instructor – Adelphi International —
Adelphi International is a partnership between Adelphi University and Shorelight. The mission of the International Accelerator Program is to immerse international students in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood in obtaining their degrees.
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructor combines English Language instruction and support with academic instruction and acculturation to teach international students. ESL Instructors teach listening, speaking, reading, writing, and grammar skills at all levels in a university-based, intensive ESL program. He/She/They also teach ESP courses, participate in extracurricular events, and assume responsibilities in materials development/coordination or other needed specialized areas. This role reports to the English Program Supervisor.
The ESL Instructor has proven customer service abilities, has outstanding oral and written communication skills, and demonstrated flexibility. He/She/They will work with students one on one and in groups so excellent organizational skills, strong attention to detail, and outstanding interpersonal skills with cultural sensitivity toward students and staff from diverse backgrounds is critical. The ESL Instructor is a team player who can work independently, is comfortable multitasking, can change priorities to fit business needs, and manages time efficiently.
- Teach 20 hours per week of English for Academic Purposes to international students enrolled in Adelphi International
- Work in a team environment with other instructors and the Adelphi International team to prepare, select, and use appropriate teaching and learning materials for international students (including the use of textbooks, in-house materials, and self-created materials)
- Develop relevant and appropriate lesson plans that provide effective teaching strategies and meet the individual needs of students
- Assess students and provide both formative and summative evaluations to a high standard
- Provide oral and written feedback to students and to relevant staff
- Deliver out-of-class academic support for students during office hours as needed
- Carry out administrative tasks associated with teaching and assessment, students’ academic progress reports, weekly grades, attendance, and record of work
- Act as a positive ambassador for Adelphi International and Adelphi University
- Participate in staff development and professional training as required
- Attend university and program meetings as required
- Master’s degree in TESOL or closely related field, such as (but not limited to) Applied Linguistics or Adult Education
- 2+ years of related experience, including 1+ year in an academic ESL program
- Eligibility to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
- Demonstrable knowledge of applied linguistics, second language acquisition, language-teaching methodologies, assessment, and curriculum/lesson planning; TEFL certifications (CELTA, DELTA, Bridge, or Oxford)
- Overseas experience or experience teaching in multicultural/multilingual classrooms
- Competence in a foreign language
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Background Check Required–Education, Criminal, Identity
Adelphi International is an Equal Opportunity Employer.