Academic Operations Director
Cleveland State Global is a partnership between Cleveland State University and Shorelight. The mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students (graduate and undergraduate) in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood of obtaining their degrees at Cleveland State University.
The Academic Operations Director implements and manages an International Accelerator Program (IAP) curriculum and support services for international students. He/She/They ensures the delivery of a high-quality academic experience for all students in the program through strategic student data management and pro-active academic intervention. The Academic Operations Director ensures our specialized academic program that combines English language instruction and support with academic instruction and acculturation is high quality. He/She/They organize and lead implementation of effective student support and guidance in areas of English for academic purposes, tutorials, and progression through the program as well as works closely with the University and Shorelight stakeholders to develop academic operational best practices. This role reports to the Managing Director.
The Academic Operations Director is a solid leader who participates in both academic and student services initiatives, provides a high level of customer service to all stakeholders, and possesses the interpersonal skills that fosters cross-departmental collaboration. He/She/They is comfortable multitasking and adjusts quickly to shifting priorities. The Academic Operations Director is a strategic thinker with the dual capacity to see the big picture and attend to details. He/She/They shows excellence in problem solving and demonstrated tact, patience, and diplomacy, particularly with non-native English speakers, is required so exceptional oral and written communication are critical.
Academic Program Management
- Manage academic operations, including implementing and overseeing systems and procedures; maintaining accurate records and reports on the program; and meeting academic program quality standards, ensuring continuous evaluation and improvement of the program
- Work closely with the Managing Director, Academic Chair, and Shorelight to supervise and manage all academics of the program, including curriculum delivery, mentoring of faculty and staff, and overall student experience
- Collaborate with academic units to develop a program that meets the university’s objectives, further strengthens the university’s mission, international reach, and outstanding reputation, and maximizes student success and progression
- Partner with the Academic Chair, Student Services Director, and university personnel to ensure a holistic program encompassing academic success, integration into the university environment, acculturation, student services support, and student success
- Oversee academic program planning
- Represent the program through participation in academic events, on familiarization tours, and through memberships and affiliations as appropriate
- Adhere to university policies regarding academic integrity and related university academic policies
Student Progression and Retention
- In partnership with the Academic Chair and the Director of Admissions, implement and monitor student retention processes and policies for the program
- Analyze reports on the progress and satisfaction of the students’ achievement of objectives, including progression through the program and degree completion
- Oversee maintenance of up-to-date and accurate records in Salesforce to track enrollment, program completion, progression, program changes, Y2-4 engagement, and graduation rates
- Manage the collection of academic, financial and career data and submit campus reports in alignment with the academic reporting calendar
- Conduct data analysis (program and demographic) to inform improved campus practices and student success strategy
- Liaise with appropriate committees and other partners related to the matriculation and onboarding of new students initially, through the IAP, and into university degree programs
- Work with academic departments to ensure appropriate scheduling of courses and assignment of instructional staff for the program
- Recruit, develop, and retain team members to ensure productivity and engagement
- Engage in talent management activities such as goal setting, performance evaluations, stay interviews, development planning, and ongoing feedback to develop team members and achieve organization goals
- Provide coaching, counseling, and corrective action (when necessary) to team members
- Foster a culture that reflects Shorelight’s values
- Master’s degree with 5+ years’ experience in either higher education, IEP/ language school management, TEFL/TESOL, or related field or a Doctorate degree with either 3+ years’ experience in higher education, IEP/language school management, or related field
- 3+ years of teaching experience at the university level
- Experience working with international students in a higher education setting
- Demonstrated understanding of class management tools, including databases, Microsoft Office programs, course management systems, and forms of media to support an interactive and student-centered classroom instruction
- Eligibility to work and travel in the United States without sponsorship
- Experience working within an educational collaboration and/or a complex organization
- Experience working with data analytical software such as Tableau and/or CRM systems such as Salesforce
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Experience living or working overseas
- Academic advising experience
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Background Check Required–Education, Criminal, Identity
Cleveland State Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer.