Data Visualization Manager
Shorelight is reinventing the international education experience for students worldwide. Based in Boston, the company works directly with top-ranked, nonprofit American universities to build innovative programs and high-touch, technology-driven services that help talented students thrive and become global citizens.
As a Data Visualization Manager and member of the Shorelight Analytics team, you will be responsible for turning abstract information from data analyses into appealing and clear data visualizations that improve business insights.
The right candidate is both technical and a creative thinker, who understands how to apply their deep knowledge in visualization skills such as user experience design, data visualization and advanced analytics. Individuals in this role understand how information is turned into knowledge and how this knowledge supports and enables key business processes. This role will partner with internal business stakeholders across Shorelight.
- Conceptualizes, designs, and develops reports or data visualization solutions that synthesize data concepts into clear communications for internal business stakeholders
- Works closely with analytics leadership/product managers and analysts as part of a project team
- Works with internal business stakeholders to identify useful and strategically relevant insights
- Identifies opportunities for improvement or where further development/build-out is required; work with assertiveness and with a solution-minded approach to tackle complex data problems
- Demonstrates a strong sense of visual design and interest in creative visualization work
- Demonstrates an ability to reduce data to the bare minimum of what is needed to optimally communicate a message
- Demonstrates a drive to learn new tools and new ways of visualizing/displaying data and insights
- Writes documentation of solutions and processes for both analysts and end users
- Executes on end-to-end analytics product roadmap of enhancements, modifications, and new releases
- Work with data engineer and analysts to obtain data and perform user acceptance testing; ensures data visualizations meet needs of end users
- Serves as the subject matter expert for data visualization
- As needed, illustrates visualization ideas using storyboards, process flows, wireframes, or prototypes
- As applicable, mentors data analysts
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong Tableau expertise and skills
- At least 3 years of direct experience working with data visualization tools
- At least 1 year of exposure to ETL, databases / data warehouses that relate to developing these reports
- Strong technical and analytical skills
- Entrepreneurial and strategy-oriented mindset; has the ability to identify opportunities and develop solutions with minimal guidance
- Has the ability to choose the best visualization style for a given context
- Comfort working with remote, international teams
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal & written, with an ability to speak to different levels of the organization
- Internal customer orientation and excellent problem-solving skills
- Self-starter with ability to take initiative and deliver tangible results under deadlines
- Experience with agile project delivery
- Passion for or understanding of user centered design in data visualization
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Background Check Required–Education, Criminal, Identity
Shorelight is an Equal Opportunity Employer.