Director of Software Engineering
Shorelight is reinventing the international education experience for students worldwide. Based in Boston, the company works directly with top-ranked, nonprofit American universities to build innovative programs and high-touch, technology-driven services that help talented students thrive and become global citizens.
The Director of Software Engineering leads a group of software engineers, who will be assigned to a number of teams working on a range of products. This position will direct the software engineering function, looking for opportunities for code/component sharing to improve efficiency and quality of development deliverables. This position will also work with the Product Management team to agree to scope of deliverables and timeframes, with the Quality Assurance team on automated and manual testing strategies, and with the Infrastructure team on deployment architectures to promote efficient use of cloud resources. In addition, this position will work closely with the Data Architecture and Quality team to ensure alignment of product architecture and design decisions and well as with the Information Security team to ensure products conform to secure coding and architecture best practices and risks are managed appropriately. This position reports directly to the Senior Director of Software Engineering.
- Lead the end-to-end delivery of product deliveries, including planning, assessment, design, development, integrating, testing, and deployment
- Manage the development of project definition and scope with Product Management and internal applicable stakeholders
- Develop, communicate, and implement risk mitigation plans, complete documentation to effectively monitor risk, and ensure accountability and responsibility
- Provide visibility and cross scrum team insights
- Manage execution of projects using Agile sprints to ensure the project is delivered on time and aligned with customer expectations
- Provide technical consultation as well as expertise to Product Managers
- Communicate architectural vision to both business leadership and engineering groups
- Evaluate tools, processes, software platforms and systems to improve the efficiency, scalability and quality of Product Development for the company
- Ensure consistent coding and quality standards are followed, while embracing software engineers’ creativity
- Recruit, develop, and retain team members to ensure productivity and engagement
- Engage in talent management activities such as goal setting, performance evaluations, stay interviews, development planning, and ongoing feedback to develop team members and achieve organization goals
- Provide coaching, counseling, and corrective action (when necessary) to team members
- Foster a culture that reflects Shorelight’s values
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science, engineering, or a related subject
- 10+ years’ experience implementing modern web and mobile products
- Experience in running software development teams
- Experience with leading talented software engineers – recruiting, motivating, inspiring, guiding, coaching
- Experience in planning and executing projects using Agile/Scrum methodology
- Experience working with remote third-party development teams
- Experience with React/Redux, React-Native, Java microservices and frameworks like GraphQL, Apollo, Relay and Service Oriented Architectures using tools like Kafka, RabbitMQ.
- Experience with mobile product development and deployment
- Experience with Internationalization and deployment of products
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills to make executive-level presentations to stakeholders and organizational leadership
- Ability to learn and adopt new technologies as well as stay current on existing ones, pursuing experience and certifications in leading-edge or primary technology areas
- Eligibility to work in, and travel freely to and from, the United States without sponsorship
- Master’s degree, preferably in computer science, engineering, or a related subject
- Experience in designing and implementing products that interface with SFDC is a plus
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Shorelight is an Equal Opportunity Employer.