Manager, Technical Accounting
Shorelight is reinventing the international education experience for students worldwide. Based in Boston, the company works directly with top-ranked, nonprofit American universities to build innovative programs and high-touch, technology-driven services that help talented students thrive and become global citizens.
The Manager, Technical Accounting will provide technical accounting support to the business and corporate accounting, document key accounting positions, serve as the technical accounting subject matter expert with respect to the company’s accounting policies, SEC filings and emerging accounting issues from the FASB and /or SEC. This position will report directly to the Controller, Vice President.
- Oversee company-wide technical accounting consultation via research on, and analysis of, complex accounting issues, applying relevant technical guidance and interpretation
- Full documentation and communication, including recommendation of accounting treatment to finance personnel across the company
- Implementation of new leasing guidance, ASC842
- Build and manage strong business partnerships with key business development, legal and finance teams in development of partnership contracts to ensure positive financial terms and that revenue is recognized in accordance with corporate policies and GAAP
- Lead and document the implementation of improvements to accounting processes and policies
- Continuously monitor, document, and communicate the development of new accounting standards, interpretations, and emerging guidance to the finance organization, including current and future impact on the company
- Oversee Financial Reporting, including monthly GAAP reporting packages, and drafting of annual PCAOB financial statements and footnotes
- Assist with the annual PCAOB audit to ensure completion as per bank covenant deadlines
- Specific areas of interest are revenue recognition, contract management and financial implications, international partnership expansion, business combinations, and equity
- Work proactively with external auditors to drive timely closure of technical accounting matters to ensure proper accounting and disclosures along with documentation of accounting memos
- Oversee, implement, and maintain the company’s accounting policies and monitor compliance; work with the CFO and Controller, Vice President to lead policy initiatives and adoption of accounting guidance
- Provide training on new or existing accounting standards to company employees
- Assist Controller, Vice President with oversight of Sarbanes Oxley process and expand implementation of controls and process documentation
- Assist with oversight of the monthly close process and related improvement initiatives
- Oversee income tax process including coordination with third party tax preparers for filing returns and recording the tax provision within the financial statements
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant
- Related work experience applying GAAP accounting and SEC requirements, including minimum of 5+ years auditing experience within a large, multi-national public accounting firm (e.g. Big 4); 3 years of experience in both private and publicly held international companies preferred
- Knowledge of Corporate HQ consolidation of international entities
- Eligibility to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
- Experience with an IPO readiness, or S1 filing preferred
- Experience with tier-1 and tier-2 financial systems preferred (NetSuite, SAP, etc.)
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Background Check Required–Education, Criminal, Identity
Shorelight is an Equal Opportunity Employer.