Principal Software Engineer
Shorelight is reinventing the international education experience for students worldwide. Based in Boston, the company works directly with top-ranked, nonprofit American universities to build innovative programs and high-touch, technology-driven services that help talented students thrive and become global citizens.
The Principal Software Engineer plays a leading role in development and delivery of Web applications, Salesforce extensions, and integration of third-party tools into Shorelight’s ecosystem. The Principal Software Engineer works across the full stack (HTML5/CSS3, React.js/Redux, Node.js, Java, SFDC), leveraging the latest technologies to deliver top-notch technical solutions that excite our customers. This role helps spearhead the application of machine learning and AI techniques to power business solutions.
- Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, and support technical solutions across the full stack of development tools and technologies
- Lead a high-performing engineering team, and mentor and develop junior team members
- Work closely with Product Management to understand end-user requirements and translate them into high-quality, timely deliverables
- Play a key role in the architectural and design decisions the team makes and articulate the impact of these decisions to the rest of the organization
- Explore and evaluate new and emerging software tools and technologies as well as bring fresh ideas that can benefit assigned projects
Engineering Process Oversight
- Continuously improve software engineering practices and standards
- Participate in peer code reviews and facilitate knowledge sharing sessions
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in computer science or a related field (or equivalent experience)
- Strong experience designing RESTful APIs using Microservices architecture
- Experience in middle-tier coding in Node.js and/or Java
- Experience with variety of SQL (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and/or NoSQL databases (MongoDB, ElasticSearch)
- Familiarity with DevOps tooling for development (Docker) and orchestration (Kubernetes)
- Experience delivering products using Agile development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban)
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills and strong attention to details
- Strong technical leadership and coaching skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Eligibility to work in, and travel freely to and from, the United States without sponsorship
- Previous experience integrating with Salesforce or similar CRM products to develop client or business solutions
- Strong understanding of Web application security concepts
- Familiarity with various machine learning methods; knowledge of machine learning libraries such as Scikit-learn, TensorFlow
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Background Check Required–Education, Criminal, Identity
Shorelight is an Equal Opportunity Employer.