Senior Accountant, Shanghai
Shorelight — Senior Accountant, Shanghai
Shorelight is reinventing the international education experience for both students and universities. In partnership with leading U.S. institutions, we build innovative degree programs—whether on campus or cloud-based, in the United States or students’ home countries—that help students thrive and create a new generation of successful, globally minded alumni.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for all local accounting activities in China, under the direction of finance corporate leadership, helps lead the finance team in accurate reporting of financials for our operations in China. He/she/they is fiscally responsible and looks for opportunities to improve operational practice to align with financial goals. The Senior Accountant is a strategic thinker and problem solver with strong attention to detail and a proven customer service approach to working with others. This role reports to the Senior Manager, Corporate Accounting and will manage an Accounts Payable Specialist
- Prepare journal entries and associated balance sheet reconciliations for the monthly financial close, including those for cash, prepaids, fixed assets, payroll, payables, intercompany/consolidation, and all required accruals as examples
- Manage the local payroll and accounts payable operations to ensure the Company’s vendor and employee payment obligations are completed on a timely and accurate basis.
- Collaborate with PWC to calculate, file and record quarterly VAT and Corporate income tax.
Strategy and Data Management
- Prepare monthly and ad-hoc financial reporting for senior leadership
- Assist management with monthly and quarterly financial reviews by documenting analysis explaining unusual adjustments and differences to budget
Compliance and Process Improvement
- Collaborate with local staff and the team in Boston to drive continuous improvement in the accuracy and timeliness of the monthly financial close process.
- Assist with corporate audit readiness
- Lead local statutory audit in China in collaboration with local accounting firm.
- Work with Finance, Analytics, and IT team members to identify ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of month-end processes and assist in initiatives to implement the improvements for financial reporting
- Review, recommend, and implement best practices regarding accounting policies and procedures
- Promote professional development of the accounting staff and help to build a culture characterized by teamwork, accountability, and a customer service mentality
- Strong academic background in accounting & finance, at least 5 years of previous experience, and a minimum of 2 years of people management experience.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience within a large, multi-national public accounting firm
- Advanced MS Excel skills
- Proven project management skills with the ability to drive them through to completion
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- High attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to adapt to changing business needs and to manage multiple priorities
- Excellent written and verbal English skills
- Certified Public Accountant or equivalent
- Experience with tier-1 and tier-2 financial systems preferred (NetSuite, SAP, etc.)
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Shorelight is an Equal Opportunity Employer.