Student Services Advisor
The International Accelerator Program (IAP) is a partnership between American University (AU) and Shorelight. To support the university’s strategic plan goal of bringing the world to AU and AU to the world, the mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students (graduate and undergraduate) in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood of obtaining their degrees at AU.
Student Services Advisors (SSAs) help develop and support student service programs for international students. Reporting to the Student Services Director (SSD), SSAs are responsible for collaborating with the SSD to support students’ academic engagement, social integration, and cross-cultural development in their new academic and social environments.
The SSA is an energetic team player who successfully executes support services catered to international students. The primary responsibility of the SSA is to deliver high-quality cocurricular and extracurricular support experiences for program students, as well as hands-on academic support, guidance, and mentoring. The SSA has excellent customer service skills and the ability to focus his or her attention on individual students as they are guided through the program. The SSA also possesses the interpersonal and intercultural skills necessary to work closely with students, parents, program staff, and university administration.
- Guide, prepare, and motivate students to a successful undergraduate or graduate experience and degree completion
- Deliver exceptional student services, beginning with pre-arrival processes, airport transfers, orientation programming, ongoing student services support, and student acculturation into the university providing a strong foundation for the student’s academic success
- Mentor, train, and coach students to support their skill development in goal setting, strategic planning, cultural competency, problem solving, and interpersonal relationships, among other areas
- Assist in the development, promotion, and implementation of programs to support student retention and socialization/acculturation; assist in the design and implementation of orientation programming
- Teach or coach first-year transitional programming if applicable
- Support key relationships at the university and at the partnership, including academic teams, International Student Services, Campus Housing, Dining Services, Student Development and Enrollment Services, Office of Student Involvement, Office of the Registrar, and various other departments
- Communicate openly and effectively with campus and community partners in accordance with FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) about health and safety issues, incidents, and problems
Data and Technology
- Maintain accurate records and reporting for assigned cohort of students
- Contribute to student services operations to ensure that systems and procedures are followed and technology is used to streamline systems and procedures; as relevant, assist in the creation of new processes
- Assist with the coordination of student satisfaction surveys and associated analysis, with an eye toward improving the student experience
- Master’s degree
- Demonstrated interest in higher education advising, student services, or hospitality
- Proven customer service skills
- Demonstrated empathy in managing culturally sensitive situations
- IT literacy (e.g., student information system or database, or customer relationship management systems)
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours as needed
- Eligibility to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
- Experience in higher education advising, student services, or hospitality
- Experience working with students who face a variety of challenging academic, social, or other needs
- Experience working with international students or customers in an administrative or academic capacity
- Experience planning and organizing events
- Experience working successfully with non-native English speakers
- Knowledge of Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic, or Hindi
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Background Check Required — Education, Criminal, Identity
American IAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.