Student Services Advisor – UDayton Global
UDayton Global is an innovative partnership between the University of Dayton and Shorelight. Together, they created UDayton Global’s International Accelerator Program (IAP), which combines intensive English-language instruction with courses, programs, and additional support to help international students succeed. Offering programs for both undergraduate and graduate students, both on campus and through Shorelight’s LIVE technology, the IAP expands the university’s efforts to educate students from around the world and ensure positive outcomes.
The University of Dayton is a top-tier Catholic, Marianist research university that stands as a leader in higher education and one of the preeminent Catholic universities in the nation. It is one of the largest private universities in Ohio, with enrollment of more than 11,500 students, including more than 8,300 full-time undergraduates. The university employs approximately 2,600 full-time and part-time faculty and staff and is distinguished by strong academics, research, and community involvement.
The SSA is an energetic team player who successfully executes support services catered to international students. The primary responsibility of the SSA is to deliver high-quality cocurricular and extracurricular support experiences for program students, as well as hands-on academic support, guidance, and mentoring. The SSA has excellent customer service skills and the ability to focus his or her attention on individual students as they are guided through the program. The SSA also possesses the interpersonal and intercultural skills necessary to work closely with students, parents, program staff, and university administration.
- Guide, prepare, and motivate students to a successful undergraduate or graduate experience and degree completion
- Deliver exceptional student services, beginning with pre-arrival processes, airport transfers, orientation programming, ongoing student services support, and student acculturation into the university providing a strong foundation for the student’s academic success
- Mentor, train, and coach students to support their skill development in goal setting, strategic planning, cultural competency, problem solving, and interpersonal relationships, among other areas
- Assist in the development, promotion, and implementation of programs to support student retention and socialization/acculturation; assist in the design and implementation of orientation programming
- Teach or coach first-year transitional programming if applicable
- Support key relationships at the university and at the partnership, including academic teams, International Student Services, Campus Housing, Dining Services, Student Development and Enrollment Services, Office of Student Involvement, Office of the Registrar, and various other departments
- Communicate openly and effectively with campus and community partners in accordance with FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) about health and safety issues, incidents, and problems
Data and Technology
- Maintain accurate records and reporting for assigned cohort of students
- Contribute to student services operations to ensure that systems and procedures are followed and technology is used to streamline systems and procedures; as relevant, assist in the creation of new processes
- Assist with the coordination of student satisfaction surveys and associated analysis, with an eye toward improving the student experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated interest in higher education advising, student services, or hospitality
- Proven customer service skills
- Demonstrated empathy in managing culturally sensitive situations
- IT literacy (e.g., student information system or database, or customer relationship management systems)
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours as needed
- Eligibility to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
- Master’s degree
- Experience in higher education advising, student services, or hospitality
- Experience working with students who face a variety of challenging academic, social, or other needs
- Experience working with international students or customers in an administrative or academic capacity
- Experience planning and organizing events
- Experience working successfully with non-native English speakers
- Knowledge of Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic, or Hindi
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Background Check Required — Education, Criminal, Identity
UDayton Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer.